What To See In A Day In
The Land of Midnight Sun
I was more than happy to visit the Scandinavia portion of the European continent. It was a 9 day trip for me spending one day in each country on a fast track note trying to cover maximum that I could.
Upon my arrival at Helsinki airport, I could see although there were many of them flying to the city, Helsinki airport was not that busy. The immigration officers were friendly and asked very basic questions about my stay and itinerary.
Once you are out of the airport, if you are traveling with the group, group coaches wait on the right side of the airport, otherwise, you can follow the boards for the taxi to the left side.
It takes approximately 30 minutes from Helsinki airport to the city center. The city was very quiet in fact all the shops were already closed by 06:00 PM. By 07:00 PM, there were almost no people on road. However, I was just waiting for the next day since it was full of sightseeing and the most exciting part was the cruise that I was supposed to board by the end of the day which would take me to Stockholm.
The best time to visit Helsinki is from May to September when Helsinki Weather is at its best. The city goes through the most unique phenomenon of Midnight Sun during August where sun remains in the sky for almost 20 to 22 hours.
What To See In A Day In HELSINKI
1. Modern Finlandia Hall
Modern Finlandia Hall - What To See In A Day In Helsinki. Image Source - Google
- Modern Finlandia Hall is a popular architectural and dynamic site situated in Helsinki city center.
- Apart from its exhibitions held in the gallery, the hall also houses a cafe restaurant where you can sip a cup of coffee while enjoying the atmosphere of the hall.
- Modern Finlandia Hall is used for various events and concerts and meetings.
- It was designed by the famous architect Alvar Aalto which reflects his specialty of designs with asymmetric structures, mixture with natural colors etc.
- Guided tours are available inside for in-depth information about the Modern Finlandia Hall.
Timing:- 09:00 AM to 07:00 PM
Visit Duration:- 1 Hour
Ticket Cost:- Adult €16, Child €18
2. The Rock Church
Ceiling Of The Rock Church - What To See In A Day In Helsinki. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Inside The Rock Church - What To See In A Day In Helsinki. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- As the name says the church is actually built inside the rock.
- There is a huge block of rock which has been dug and a proper Lutheran church has been made inside it.
- The Rock Church is designed by architects Timo and Tuomo. The church is also known as Temppeliaukio Church.
- The church has got a fantastic atmosphere and architecture. The ceiling of the church is covered with copper metal wires. The bedrock from the outside can be seen to understand the concept.
Timing:- 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM
Visit Duration:- 30 Minutes
Ticket Cost:- Adult €3, Child Free Admission
3. Sibelius Monument
Sibelius Monument - What To See In A Day In Helsinki. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- A very unique and different kind of monument which resembles a sound wave of multiple organ pipes.
- It was designed by Finnish sculptor Eila Hiltunen and built in 1967 dedicated to the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius.
- The monument consists of a total of 600 pipes with the highest one at the height of 27 feet.
- Although the monument was added to honor the composer, many said that it did not serve the full justice and reflect the correct meaning. Because of which a huge monument of Sibelius' face was added at the base of it.
- The monument is situated at the very beautiful and a peaceful green park.
Timing:- Open All Times
Ticket Cost:- Free Admission
Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic. - Jean Sibelius
4. The Great Lutheran Cathedral and Senate Square
Lutheran Cathedral - What To See In A Day In Helsinki. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Senate Square - What To See In A Day In Helsinki. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- The Great Lutheran Cathedral and The Senate Square brings you back in time and all of a sudden you feel you have entered into the historical era of Finland.
- The structure of the cathedral is neoclassical and is trying to reflect the glory of Greek and Rome.
- This is one of the must-see places in Helsinki, and you should not miss it. The only pain is that you have to climb a few steps to enter the cathedral which can be a little troublesome to elders.
Timing:- 09:00 AM to 06:00 PM
5. City Orientation Tour
- Apart from the famous monuments mentioned above the city also has other monuments which you can visit during your drive in the city and get a lot of photo opportunities.
- This includes the Helsinki City Hall, Helsinki Parliament Hall, Olympic Stadium (which is closed for renovation until January 2019), the Presidential Palace, Monumental Railroad Station.
6. Market Square
Food Stalls At The market Suqare Fair - What To See In A Day In Helsinki. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- The market square is the place in Helsinki city center where you can enjoy a foodie's life and a great time around the waterfront area.
- The Presidential Palace and the City Hall are bordering the city hall and the Baltic Sea.
- I was lucky enough during my last trip since the market square was holding the international food festival where vendors from various countries presented their local food at the stall.
- Nearby the market square also has a shopping area for branded shops giving you a chance to empty your pockets.
- The cruise pier is only 5 minutes distance from the market square.
SAVE IT FOR LATER
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!
OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly