Those beautiful landscapes, tall buildings, historical monuments, huge cathedrals all of it was calling out to me and I could not wait to see it. Visiting Russia was a dream I have been waiting to fulfill. And who does not wish to visit the World's largest nation? I was so excited that I could not even sleep in my flight. Although I was all sleepy when I landed at Moscow airport, all I wanted to do was go out and feel the city. And the recent FIFA 2018 fever made Russia and its cities even more special.
Moscow Airport - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Strikingly
Moscow, the city which is located on the Moskva river which also is the cosmopolitan capital city of the country of Russia. The city is located in the western region of Russia and is most famous for its St. Basil's Cathedral which is seen all the time during Russian Tourism promotional advertisements. The history of the city of Moscow revolves around the Kremlin fortress.
Getting Into Moscow
Moscow has an international airport, which makes it the entry point for Russia. High-speed trains and road transportation are also options to travel to Moscow from within Russia.
Going Around Moscow
The city offers plenty of choices for transportation like train, buses, metro, trams and even planes to go from one district to the other. Being situated near the water also gives a plus point of water transportation which is used at a certain scale especially for entertainment cruise purpose.
Staying in Moscow
On a certain note, staying in the city is much costlier than in the outskirts. However, the hotel I stayed in was not even too far or too close to the city center. I was staying at Holiday Inn Suschevsky, which had fairly large rooms with a tasty breakfast. And it was not even too far from the city center.
Visit Moscow in 2 Days
Day 1 (Second Half)
1. Enjoy the Evening at Russian Circus
Tsvetnoi Boulevard - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Nikulin Circus of Moscow - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- The flights from Mumbai to Moscow mostly land by 03:00 PM which makes it little rush hush but an evening can still be utilized for Russian circus.
- This is the Moscow Circus which is located on Tsvetnoi Boulevard. It is advisable to arrive at least half an hour before the circus to enjoy the surroundings.
- It is the most popular circus in Moscow and was also awarded the Order of Lenin in 1939.
- The circus keeps the audience on the seat for the whole time and various activities keep on increasing interest in the show.
- A mixture of funny, musical and adventurous acts. The circus was started and managed by Mr. Nikulin, whose statue can be seen outside the theater.
- The theater follows the seating arrangement which is as per the seat numbers mentioned on the tickets.
Visit Duration:- 2.30 Hours
Ticket Cost:- 1,000 Rubles to 3,500 Rubles
Day 2 (Complete Day)
1. Photograph Yourself at Love Bridge
Locks at Love Bridge of Moscow - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Love Bridge of Moscow - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- Before going to the next stop of Moscow's visit, it is time to get some fun and good photographs at the famous love bridge of Moscow.
- This bridge somehow has the same concept like love lock bridge in Paris but not at that large scale.
- There are artificial trees kept which are filled with various locks which are kept there by lovers with their name on it.
- It is said that if you put the lock there and throw the key in the water since you cannot find the key, your loves stays forever.
Timing:- 24 Hours
Visit Duration:- 15 Minutes
Ticket Cost:- Free
2. Admire the Art at Tretyakov State Gallery
Inside Tretyakov State Gallery of Moscow - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Work of Art Inside Tretyakov State Gallery in Moscow - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Painting Inside the Tretyakov State Gallery - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- Come here and see some of Russia's finest arts inside the Tretyakov State Gallery.
- In 1856, the merchant from Moscow named Pavel Mikhailovich Tretyakov started collecting paintings, drawing, sculptures from various Russian artists and dreamt of presenting it to the country in the form of a museum.
- The state gallery has more than 1,00,000 outstanding arts. Not just from Russian artists, but it also includes paintings from various cities of the World.
- In May 2012, the gallery hosted a FIDE World Chess Championship between Vishwanathan Anand and Boris Gelfand.
Timing:- 10:00 AM to 06:00 PM
Visit Duration:- 1 Hour Minimum, this can increase significantly if you have more interest in Paintings and Drawings
Ticket Cost:- Adults 500 Rubles, Child Free
3. Go For A City Orientation Tour of Moscow
Mosciw City View From Sparrow Hills - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Arch Of Moscow outside Victory Park Station - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- The city orientation tour of Moscow is one of the must do in the city and the highlight point in this tour is watching various buildings of the seven sisters and visiting the sparrow hills.
- Seven sisters are the group of seven tallest buildings in Moscow which combine the Russian and Gothic style structure. These seven buildings are turned into the multipurpose buildings like hotels, administrative buildings, State University.
- Sparrow Hills, also formerly known as the Lenin's Hill is the highest point in the city of Moscow situated on the right side of Moskva river. The biggest attraction of the hills is the Moscow State University (one of the seven sisters) and Trinity Church. You also get to see a very beautiful view of the Moscow city from this hill.
Timing:- 24 Hours
Visit Duration:- 1 Hour
Ticket Cost:- NA
4. Take The Famous Metro Tour of Moscow and Go Back in History
Revolution Square Metro Station of Moscow - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Victory Park Metro Station Platform - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Deepest Escalator in the world at Moscow Metro Station - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- Leaving without riding the underground metro train, one has probably never been to Moscow.
- Moscow is one the most famous cities in the World for its metro stations, it is a rapid transit system which is spread at the length of approximately 308 km making it the seventh longest train route in the World.
- The design of these metro stations was done by Lazar Kaganovich, the work of art and other labor works were done by Soviet people, however, London Underground was given the contract for the metro construction.
- The first metro started in 1935 running for 11 kilometers stopping at 13 stations. Approximately 2,85,000 commuters traveled on its first day.
- Victory Park station has the deepest underground escalator measuring 84 meters.
Timing:- 05:30 AM to 01:00 AM
Visit Duration:- Depends on your journey
Ticket Cost:- Depend on the route you select. It can be bought at the station itself.
5. Enjoy Evening at Red Square and Indulge in Shopping at GUM Department Store
GUM Department Store of Moscow - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Red Square in Moscow - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
St. Basil's Cathedral at Red Square in Moscow - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- The Red Square is the city square of Moscow. As the name goes, the walls surrounding the square, the shops were all covered in Red bricks and wood.
- The square also houses the Lenin's Tomb, who was a Russian Communist, revolutionary and politician.
- The square does not just have small shops but also is located beside the most famous and high-end department store of Moscow GUM. Although it is called the department store, it is built like a huge mall and houses various branded shops. The roof of the store is made up of glass and consists of more than 50,000 metal pods.
- William Craft Brumfield - The American Historian of Russian Architecture also described the store as "a tribute to the technical proficiency of Russian Architecture".
- The store is much more famous for the ice cream and soft drink being sold inside. People who visit this place never leaving without having one. In fact, there are several stalls inside the store which sells it but you will find people standing in the queue at almost every stall because of its popularity.
Timing:- 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM
Visit Duration:- Totally up to you
Ticket Cost:- Depends on what you wanna shop.
Day 3 (First Half)
1. Experience the Russian History at Kremlin Complex
Grand Palace of Moscow in Kremlin Complex - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Interior of the Cathedral in Kremlin Complex - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Kremlin Tower - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Tsar's Bellin Kremlin Comlex - Visit Moscow in 2 Days. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- Kremlin Fortress is considered as the historical center of the Russian culture and history. The name Kremlin itself means "Fortress Inside the City".
- The Kremlin complex includes the Kremlin Fortress, Armoury, Grand Palace (Russian President's Residential Place), Tsar's Cannon, Tsar's Bell and Cathedral.
- The complex is huge and follows a strict security policy because of which sometimes the queue might be longer at the entrance.
- To explore the whole complex minimum 3 to 4 hours are required and it involves a lot of walking to go from one area to the other and it is advisable to do in the morning.
Timing:- 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM
Visit Duration:- 3 to 4 Hours
Ticket Cost:- Adults 500 Rubles, Child Free
SAVE IT FOR LATER