Places To Visit In ANDAMAN
Andaman islands are the Indian archipelago in the Bay of Bengal. A places where it definitely feels like being in a completely different place even when being in India. Soaring history of India, beautiful beaches, serene landscapes and the land of sentinelese tribes that is what the one line brief of Andaman is.
Port Blair is the capital city of Andaman islands and holds Indian historical importance. Also being the city with an airport making it the gateway to enter Andaman. Several airlines have flights from major cities in India to Port Blair. Chennai and Kolkata being the closest points to the capital city.
It is better to book a private vehicle to go around Andaman since public transportation is not that developed. Auto rikshaws are available however Ola or Uber is not operational in Andaman.
Staying in Port Blair
The capital city of Port Blair offers various accommodations right from hostels to hotels to resort. I have been lucky to have stayed at a fabulous property like ITC Maratha as well as Peerless Resorts which had access to the beach only at 30 seconds distance.
Places to Visit in Port Blair
1. Chatham Saw Mill
Entrance of the Chatham Saw Mill. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source :- Mitali's Travel Diary
Inside the Chatham Saw Mill. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source :- Mitali's Travel Diary
- In the modern era, where the actual mills are becoming extinct, it is quite fascinating to see the wooden mill in Port Blair at Chatham.
- The Chatham Saw Mill was set up in 1883 and still goes on strong with all the workers and manual fixation of various wooden structures.
- The mill is owned by the state government and is available for tourists to visit and take a guided tour inside the mill.
Timing :- 08:00 AM to 02:30 PM
Visit Duration :- 1 Hour
Ticket Cost :- Rs. 20 Per Person and Rs. 50 for guide inside
2. Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Dweep (Ross Island)
Miss Anuradha - The Famous guide at Ross Island. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
The Ruins of Power House at Ross Island. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- The island famous as Ross Island was renamed when the honorable Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi visited Andaman in December 2018.
- The island is located in the middle of the sea, accessible only by water transportation from Port Blair jetty.
- The jetty can be of various passengers sizes. Most of the times, the jetty is booked for to and fro journey and the driver gives certain time to be spent on the island.
- Once on the island, you can either opt for the battery car charging you Rs. 80 per person otherwise you can go on with a famous guide of Ross island named Miss. Anuradha.
- Miss. Anuradha is the one who has actually spent her childhood at the island and has seen the island in its full glory.
- The island was named as Ross after the marine surveyor Daniel Ross. British used this island as a resort and retreat from their mainland life.
- Now tourists only get to see the remains and ruins of the structures.
Timing :- 08:30 AM to 04:30 PM. Can also change depending on the weather conditions
Ticket Cost :- Adult Rs. 20 Per Person, Child Rs. 10 Per Person
3. Museum of Port Blair
An Exhibit in one of the museums. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Nicobari Hut Representation at Samudrika Naval Museum. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- Port Blair has various museums which one can hop on and off in just half day’s time.
- Fisheries Museum is the one which features marine life in and around the Andaman Islands.
- Anthropology Museum is all about the ancient tribes living in the forests of the Andaman.
- Samudrika Naval Museum is a combination of various information including Marine Life, Tribal Life. It also has a place for a documentary where the history of the Andaman island is shown.
4. Cellular Jail
Cellular Jail Complex. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Entrance to the Cellular Jail. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- If you are an Indian, or the one who is aware of the Indian history, the moment you hear the name Andaman, the first things that comes to mind is the Jail.
- The punishment most of the freedom fighters went through, the notable one being the great Svantantraveer Savarkar. The time at this jail was also called as Kaala Paani (literal meaning is Black Water, but the actual interpretation is Kaal meaning Time and Paani Meaning Water. The time in water).
- In today’s date, the cellular jail stands as a tourist point along with the museum, monument for the freedom fighters, hanging room, cells to be visited by tourists.
- The whole jail is made of seven different building connected by one watch-tower. At the center of the complex, various statues are kept showing how the prisoners were tortured and made to work for their daily routine.
- The guides provide accurate information about the whole history of the jail and the prisoners who were brought here.
Timing :- 09:00 AM to 01:00 PM and 02:00 PM to 05:00 PM for Jail Complex. Shows happen at 5:30 PM, 06:30 PM and 07:30 PM
Visit Duration :- 2 Hours
Ticket Cost :- Rs. 5 Per Person
Swaraj Deep Island aka Havelock Island
Port Blair is all about history whereas Havelock is a piece of heaven on earth. Beautiful beaches, serene landscapes are the main beauty of Havelock Island.
There are several cruise companies which operate from Port Blair to Havelock which is actually the only way to reach this island since one cannot reach the island by any other means.
Havelock island provides a lot of centres where you can buy a bike on rental for as low as Rs. 500 for a day. If you do not wish to drive yourself you can book yourself a private car to go around different sightseeing at the island.
Staying in Havelock Island
Hotel's swimming pool at Havelock Haywizz. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
In Room swimming pool at Havelock Haywizz. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Being an island, this place offers plenty resorts which give you direct access to the beach. Sometimes even the private beach. Although the hotel which I stayed did not have any such access to beach but it had a private swimming pool inside my room and as well a door that opens directly into the main swimming pool of the hotel. The hotel Havelock Haywizz which is also only minutes walking distance from the jetty making it more accessible.
Beaches to Visit in Swaraj Deep aka Havelock Island
1. Radhanagar Beach
Radhanagar Beach. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- Awarded as the best beach in Asia and World’s 7th Most beautiful beach by Times Magazine, Radhanagar beach is a must visit beach when in Havelock
- Unlike other Indian beaches, this beach has white sand, green forests in the surrounding, and blue waters.
- One should be here at the time of sunset which gives pleasant views during this time. Even though the beach is so popular amongst tourists, if you walk further on the beach, it is very easy to find a quiet and peaceful spot for yourself.
- Beaches in Havelock are numbers with different digits. Radhanagar being the number 7.
2. Kala Patthar – The Black Rock Beach
Kala Patthar Beach. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Strikingly
- A long stretch of white gold sand with a lot of black rocks on the way, that is what the Kala Patthar beach is all about.
- Kala Patthar, The literal meaning is Black Rock. It is situated on the other corner of the Havelock island.
- Kala Patthar is the extension of Beach No. 5.
3. Elephant Beach
Elephant Beach. Places to Visit in Andaman. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- If you are looking for serene beach along with all the water activities, then Elephant beach is the one you need to go to.
- Boats leave every day from Havelock Jetty to go to Elephant beach. Note that whether to leave boats to the beach totally depends on the authorities, since it might get canceled because of rough weather.
- Once on the island, tourists can enjoy various activities like snorkeling – the one which is included along with the boat ride, and glass bottom boat, undersea walk at an additional cost.
- The beach is rich with beautiful coral reefs, white and blue water deep enough to swim.
SAVE IT FOR LATER
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!
OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly