Best Places To Visit in
The City of Cathedrals, Museums, and Palaces
I was on my train from Moscow to St. Petersburg. The train journey was quite smooth and not as hectic as Eurostar Journey I always experience from London to Paris or Brussels. After visiting Moscow for half a day on the 3rd day of my trip, I was at the train station for my train to St. Petersburg. Now the biggest irony of the names of these train stations is that the train station at Moscow is named as St. Petersburg Train Station and the train station at St. Petersburg is named as Moscow Train Station.
Waiting Area of Train Station at Moscow Named as St. Petersburg - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg.
Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Upon arriving at the station the luggage can be taken to the waiting area over steps or over the ramp beside the steps. The waiting area is at the same level as the platform. Luggage scanning is mandatory before going to the platform. Coach and seat number is mentioned on the train ticket. Coach number from 1 to 10 are interconnected and coach number starting from 11 to 20 are in separate attachments. Ticket and identity proof is checked before entering the coach. There is an arrangement made for storing the luggage inside the train. The journey is of approximately 4 hours.
Upon reaching St. Petersburg, porters are available at the rate of 400 Rubles per piece of luggage. Once I came out of the station to go to my bus, I was in for a complete surprise. The city was full of HUGE!!! Yes, when I say HUGE, they are really huge buildings. Even simple purpose buildings are architecturally beautiful. I could not wait anymore to see the best places to visit in St. Petersburg.
St. Petersburg is the city of Russia situated on the Baltic Sea which was also a capital city of Russia for two centuries. The city which is founded by Peter the Great is well known for its world famous cathedrals, museums, and palaces. It is also the fourth most populous city in Europe. And you need to have all the information you need before you travel to St. Petersburg.
Getting Into St. Petersburg
If St. Petersburg is going to be the first destination to enter Russia, Pulkovo Airport is an international airport for the entry point. Buses and metros are available from the airport to the city center. If entering from Helsinki, road transportation is an option which takes approximately half day including all the procedure for immigration and security checks. Some cruise also serves it as one of the porting cities, so one can select cruise from Helsinki to St. Petersburg.
Going Around St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg is considered a huge city, and it is advisable to know the proper plan of intercity traveling. Transportations like a bus, metro are used on a majority basis. Private cabs are also available, but you need to be careful of their haggling. Aquabus is a new initiative in St. Petersburg. Apart from this city has Trolley Bus and Mashrutka which run on a fixed route and are useful for reaching suburbs.
Staying in St. Petersburg
In this city, it is advisable to stay as near as possible to the city center. It is not just about the day sightseeing but because the city has a stunning view during the night once it is all dark and all the buildings and bridges are lit. Although I was not staying near to the city center, I enjoyed my stay at Hampton By Hilton.
Best Places To Visit In St. Petersburg
1. Visit and Be Surprised with the Structure Of St. Issac's Cathedral
Bronze Doors Inside St. Isaac Cathedral - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Inside St. Isaac Cathedral - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- St. Issac's cathedral is the largest Orthodox cathedral in St. Petersburg and is largest orthodox basilica and the fourth largest cathedral in the World.
- The construction of the cathedral took 40 years to complete, the dome was painted grey during World War 2 for protecting it from bombing.
- The neoclassical exterior is based on gray and pink stone and huge pillars. The main dome of the cathedral is made up of pure gold.
- The interior of the is featured with pained walls and ceilings and various beautiful doors.
Timing:- 10:30 AM to 06:00 PM
Visit Duration:- 1 Hour
Ticket Cost:- 250 Rubles
2. Enjoy The City Orientation Tour of St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg is a city which can never be seen completely if tourists go on taking a stop at every building around.
- However, one should definitely stop at few mandatory places which are worth a photo stop.
Church of The Saviour On Spilled Blood - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Russian Cruiser Aurora - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Smolensky Cathedral - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Rostral Column - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Kazaan Cathedral Outside View - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
3. Enjoy The Evenings At Russian Folklore Show and Russian Ballet Dance Show
Folklore Show Theater - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- These two shows are must to know the culture of the country of Russia
- The folklore shows the Russian Culture and also lets the audience understand the ways of the locals.
- Russian Ballets is one of the famous dance forms in the country, and most of the tourists make it a point to watch this show.
Timing:- Various Shows
Visit Duration:- 2.30 Hours along with Intervals
Ticket Cost:- Vary as per seating arrangement and show timings
4. Visit One Of The World's Most Reputed Museum - State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace
Inside Hermitage Museum - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Hermitage Museum Facade From Neva River - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- Winter Palace is the building which has been the main residence of the Russian Tsar in the 18th century. The building is located on the banks of the Neva river.
- The best thing about this building is the color combination of white and green with baroque style architecture.
- The winter palace also houses The State Hermitage Museum which is the World's second largest museum.
- It is a museum of art and culture which was founded by Catherine the great and houses works by world-famous artists like Leonardo Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Raphael.
- An appointment has to be booked for this visit, and there is a strict security check before entering and visitors not allowed to bring big bags inside and have to leave it in the cloakroom. Flash photography is strictly prohibited in some areas.
Visit Duration:- 2 Hours Minimum
Ticket Cost:- 700 Rubles
5. Spend Time at Peter and Paul Fortress and The Beautiful Cathedral Inside
Peter and Paul Fortress - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Inside Peter and Paul Cathedral - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- The core certified area of the city - Peter and Paul Fortress was built by Peter the Great on the northern bank of Delta river.
- Visiting Peter and Paul fortress gives multiple experiences such as The Cathedral, The Museum, and The Saint Petersburg Mint at one place.
- Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral which is an orthodox cathedral is one of the beautiful cathedrals to visit in the city.
- The city museum is the museum which provides the information of the St. Petersburg city's history.
- Further to the end of the fortress, cool breeze always play around at the banks of Neva river
Timing:- 10:00 AM to 04:00 PM
Visit Duration:- 2 Hours
Ticket Cost:- Adult 450 Rubles, Child 250 Rubles
6. Be Surprised With The Grandness of The Catherine Palace at Pushkin
Inside Catherine Palace - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Backyard of Catherine Palace - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
Catherine Palace Front Outer Section - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- The history of St. Petersburg revolve around mainly two people i.e. Peter The Great and Catherine The Great.
- A beautiful front yard garden welcomes in front of the palace building.
- Because of the security checks, it can take longer in the queue and everyone has to follow the queue even once inside to go from one room to the other room.
- Before starting the palace tour, it is compulsory to wear the shoe cover. At the beginning of the tour, the Palace model is kept and the intricate gold work is done on the stairs and the roof.
- Catherine Palace was the summer residence for the Russian Tsar's and is located in Pushkin which is approximately 30 km from St. Petersburg.
- The rooms inside the palace are covered with intricate gold work.
- The fountain garden on the other side of the Palace is yet another famous and attractive part of the palace.
Timing:- 10:00 AM to 06:00 PM
Ticket Cost:- 1000 Rubles
7. Spend An Evening Enjoying Neva Boat Ride With Scenic Views of St. Petersburg
Neva Boat Ride - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Mitali's Travel Diary
- Neva boat ride at the end of the day is a soothing experience with the landmark buildings of the city on both sides.
- The boat ride is of 1 hour to 1.30 hour depending on the tour package and it also comes with various pickup and drop off points.
- The cruise is more enjoyable around 05:00 PM, at the time of the sunset.
Timing:- Can differ Operator to Operator
Visit Duration:- 1.30 Hours
Ticket Cost:- Can Differ With Your Route
8. Make Sure to Enjoy The Night View Of The City
Night Time View Of St. Petersburg City - Best Places to Visit in St. Petersburg. Image Source - Google
- St. Peterburg by night is a completely different experience.
- The night view is enjoyable and famous because all major buildings are lit with white light and most importantly the bridges of the city are also lit and open up at certain timings which definitely is an interesting sight to watch.
SAVE IT FOR LATER
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!
OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly