A City of Contrasts & Diversity
Exciting | Surprising | Enticing
A City Of Contrasts & Diversity KUALA LUMPUR
The capital city of Malaysia is commonly abbreviated as KL. The official name of the city is the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur. The city has got plenty things to offer to you while you move around. It is the largest city of Malaysia and also the place where Malaysian King Resides.
Traveling in KL has been made very easy by various modes of transportation like Meter Taxi, Buses, Metro and of course you can always hire a private vehicle to take you around the city. And the best part of the city is; it offers a GOKL free bus ride within the central business district which can take you to main attractions and spots. The locals, as well as tourist, can take this purple color bus.
Best Places to Visit in Kuala Lumpur
1. Petronas Twin Towers
- Without a doubt, when you talk about Kuala Lumpur you cannot leave the city without visiting Twin Tower; at least the base of the Twin Towers.
- It is located at the center of the business district and is accessible by GOKL Bus and other major transportation.
- Most of the tourists only prefer to visit the base and get themselves clicked in front of the towers. If you are willing to go up the towers; you have to purchase the tickets online HERE or you can buy tickets directly at the counter which will not guarantee you the availability.
- One tower is built by a Japanese company and another by Korean. Two towers are connected by a sky bridge. And both towers at 88 stories high.
- The tickets you buy can take you to the sky bridge and you can enjoy your view from there. I have never been up there, but according to what I have heard it is more beautiful at the base from where you can view the whole building.
- There is also a shopping center named as Suria Kuala Lumpur Convention Center at the base in the middle of the two towers and a garden at the back side of the shopping mall where you can spend some time to relax.
Timing:- 09:00 AM to 08:15 PM
Visit Duration:- 30 minutes for the base and 1 hour for Sky Bridge
Ticket Cost:- Sky Bridge - Adult RM 85, Child RM 35
2. Kuala Lumpur Tower
- When you look at the skyline of KL; along with Twin Towers; you will also get to see the Kuala Lumpur Tower. It is telecommunication tower located on the hill named as Bukit Nanas which makes it look taller than Twin Tower which is not the case.
- The seventh tallest communication towers in the world with the height of 421 meters.
- The tower actually looks like a chocolate candy featuring a long elongated building structure which has an elevator for tourists to go different levels.
- The various levels are the Observatory Deck; where you can reach by buying the ticket at the counter or online. You can view the whole Kuala Lumpur city in 360 degrees.
- Sky Deck is an Open Air deck at 421 meters where you get to enjoy the view of the city in full and it also extends to the Sky Box. It is an extension made to the sky deck where you can pose and know your fears at that height.
- There is also a revolving restaurant named Atmosphere 360 at the height of 282 meters where you can enjoy the Malaysian and continental delicacy for either lunch or dinner.
- The best time to visit is in the evening; since after sunset, the tower is lit up with different colors.
- The surrounding of the towers also features a souvenir shop; upside down house, mini zoo, blue coral aquarium and other lighted trees in the parking.
- You can also buy a combo ticket HERE which can bring you to all the attractions.
Timing:-09:00 AM to 10:00 PM
Visit Duration:- 30 Minutes for each deck
Ticket Cost:- Observatory Deck - Adult RM 52, Child RM 31
Sky Deck - Adult RM 105, Child RM 55
3. King's Palace
- Malaysia is a country which follows constitutional monarchy. Elected monarch is considered to be the head of the state. And where there is a king there is a king's palace.
- As said earlier Kuala Lumpur is the official residence of the Malaysian King.
- The country of Malaysia has divided into 13 states out of which 9 states have royal hereditary rulers. These 9 rulers come together every 5 years and select one ruler to be the head of the country. That particular ruler can only become the head again once all the other rulers have headed the country.
- The King's Palace is located at Jalan Tuanku Abdul Halim which can be accessed only a private vehicle or a taxi. The palace is called as Istana Negara in the Malay language.
- You cannot enter the palace, but you can click all the photographs you want at the entrance. The horsemen, guards and if you are lucky enough you might also get to see the convoy leaving or coming back to the palace.
Visit Duration:- 15 Minutes
Ticket Cost:- Free
4. National Monument
- The National Monument commemorates the brave soldiers who lost their lives for the freedom of Malaysia during World War 2 and Malayan Emergency.
- Every year on 31st July; which is considered to be the Warriors Day in Malaysia; the Kings, Prime Minister, Military head pays respect to the tallest standing bronze structure of monument.
- The monument is designed by Austrian sculptor because of which the faces of the soldiers look European in nature.
Timing:- 07:00 Am to 06:00 PM
Visit Duration:- 30 Minutes
5. Parks and Gardens
- The city of Kuala Lumpur also houses a Bird Park and Butterfly Park along with the Orchid and Hibiscus Gardens.
- All the above-mentioned attractions are located in one place and can be visited at one go.
- KL Bird Park is also known as the World's Largest Free Walk-In Aviary. The park includes The Love Aviary - the latest attractions which have colorful love birds, Bul Bul Land - as per the name this area has the singing bird bulbul and it is situated next to the Flamingo Pond, Education Center- where you can see how chicken and duck eggs are incubated, Bird School - it is new education station for children to learn about the Malaysian birds. Other attractions include; hornbill park, the world of parrots, oriental bird aviary, waterfall aviary and an amphitheater where a bird show happens every day at 12:30 PM and 3:30 PM.
Timing:- 09:00 Am to 06:00 PM
Visit Duration:- 1: 30 Hour
Ticket Cost:- Adult RM 67, Child RM 45
- KL Butterfly Park; the largest butterfly garden in the world is definitely a treat to visit. It houses more than 5,000 live butterflies, plants, and ferns.
Ticket Cost:- Adult RM 25, Child RM 14
5. National Mosque
- Being the capital city, the National Mosque of Malaysia is located in Kuala Lumpur. One of the most beautiful mosque you will come across.
- Especially the ceiling of the mosque which is in the shape of an open umbrella. The mosque can accommodate 15,000 worshipers at a time.
- Be sure to check the timings before visiting the mosque; since there are certain timings at which mosque is closed for Non-Muslims.
- Of course just like any other mosque; you need to be completely covered head to toe when you enter the mosque.
Timing:- Please check the schedule image.
6. Dataran Merdeka Square
- The literal translation is the Independence square which is located at the KL City center. The whole area consists of several other sights such as a Cricket Ground, Sultan Abdul Samad Building which is an office of Ministry of Information, this building looks exactly like the structure of the facade of Victoria Terminus station in Mumbai. There is also a former National History Museum, Kuala Lumpur City Gallery, The Anglican Cathedral and Original Operational Malaysian Railway Station.
- The highlight of the square is the flagpole which is the tallest in the world standing at the height of 95 meters.
- It is an important venue of the National Parade which happens on 31st August of every year.
Timing:- Anytime. But it might be closed to access for political purpose.
7. Sunway Lagoon
- Whether you are traveling with kids or just a group of friends; everyone needs some time to chill and relax while on their vacation.
- Sunway Lagoon is just the place which gives you a break from your days of sightseeing.
- The theme park is divided in various parts such as Water Park, which includes Asia's Largest Water Slide, Wildlife Park which houses various animals and birds, Amusement Park which has some exciting and fun rides including roller coasters, Nickelodeon Lost Lagoon which again features some water rides, Extreme Park which includes some adrenaline rushing activities like bungee jump, G-Force, Go Kart, Quad Biking and the Scream Park.
- The park also offers various restaurants and coffee shops. Once you are inside the park; you practically need not go out for any reason.
Timing:- 10:00 AM to 06:00 PM
Visit Duration:- One Whole Day
Ticket Cost:- Adult RM 180, Child RM 150, Senior Citizen RM 150
8. Batu Caves
- The holiest place for Tamilians based in Malaysia. Various Hindu God's temples are also situated at this place;
- The place is most famous because of the Lord Murugan statue of 42.7 meters and the famous caves of stalagmite and stalactite for which you need to climb 272 steps to reach the top where you can see this natural wonder.
- Inside the cave, there is a natural hole formed which is so large that it is said that a helicopter can land through that hole.
- It is also a myth that when you reach the top after climbing those step; you are all sweaty and that means that all your sins are washed away with those sins.
- When you climb up; you also get to see a lot of monkeys, but never ever think of being kind to them by offering them food since it can actually be very much troublesome for you.
- On the way to the main cave; you get to see a small cave en-route on your left side. You are not allowed to enter that cave without the permission and a local guide.
- The whole complex also has a lot of restaurants which offer some fantastic south Indian food. So when you visit this place; after you are done climbing the top; do not leave the place without having Dosa and Coconut Water at one of the restaurants.
Timing:- 06:00 AM to 09:00 PM
Visit Duration:- 1:30 Hour
9. Putrajaya - Administrative Capital
- The government of Malaysia has given some fantastic solution to the office going people for the increasing city traffic.
- Putrajaya is a city which houses all the office building and the government building. A completely planned and developed city has some wonderful building structures.
- The most visited attraction is the Putrajaya Mosque which is constructed and colored with Pink Stones.
- You can also enjoy a river cruise is the Putrajaya Lake which can give you a soothing experience in the evening.
- Putrajaya is one of the locations where the movie of famous Bollywood Star Mr. Shah Rukh Khan Don 2 was shot. The Malaysian government has given the respectful title of DATO to Mr. Shah Rukh Khan as an appreciation and gratitude.
Timing:- Anytime for an Orientation Tour
10. Genting Highlands
- A city-based in the hills; this is the only best way I can describe Genting Highlands.
- When you are all tired and fed up of the weather of Kuala Lumpur; Genting is the place you should go for a hill station experience which is located at the height of 1,800 meters above the sea level and is among the mountain ranges Pahang and Selangor.
- The city used to have an outdoor theme park as well as an indoor theme park which is under renovation and is closed at the moment.
- However; it still has other attractions such as Casinos - the only place where the casino is built and is allowed in Malaysia, a huge shopping complex which offers a wide variety of branded shopping.
- If you are willing to enter the casino there are some strict rules to be followed as:-
I. You have to be above 21 years of age
II. Muslim is not allowed to enter the casino
III. You cannot bring your backpack, camera inside
- You also get a chance to stay in the world's largest hotel First World Hotel which has 7,351 rooms in total. If you are staying at this hotel; it is advisable to carry small bags since standard rooms are quite small.
- And since the hotel is huge; it is also confusing to find your room, and do not expect every time you open the window; you will be able to see the mountains outside. It might happen that you would just open the window and see someone else in the window of other room.
- There are a lot of guests who just come and stay at this hotel for a break from their casino playing time. So at times, check-in might be delayed than the stipulated time.
- You can also choose to stay in other hotels at Genting like Genting Grand Hotel, Maxims Hotel, Crockfords Hotel (VVIPs Only), Resort Hotel, Theme Park Hotel. Click HERE to book your stay at Genting.
- You can reach Genting Highlands by a cable car or by a shuttle; both leaves from Gohtong Jaya station. A shuttle will take 30 minutes to reach and you can carry your luggage bag. But a cable car which takes 20 minutes to reach does not allow you to carry cargo bags.
- The advisable route is, of course, the cable car which gives you an awesome view of the surroundings.
- There are a lot of restaurants to give a treat to your taste buds. My favorite restaurant is the Coffee Terrace, especially during the Christmas and New year Times. I can fill up my stomach only with the desserts section during this time. This restaurant offers wide variety of foods from Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and of course Malay food.
Visit Duration:- 1 Night 2 Days
Ticket Cost:- Variable Depending On Your Stay
SAVE IT FOR LATER
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!
OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly